ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION
Michigan Triangle Alumni Club (MTAC)
Drafted 11 April 2009
Article One – NAME
The name of this organization is the Michigan Triangle Alumni Club, hereinafter referred to as MTAC.
Article Two – PURPOSE
MTAC is an affiliate of, and chartered by, the Alumni Association of the University of Michigan (AAUM), an educational, non-profit membership organization of graduates and friends of the University of Michigan. The club and AAUM bring alumni together in support of each other and to promote the objectives of the University of Michigan through the establishment and maintenance of contact among the University, its graduates, and present and prospective students.
Article Three – MEMBERSHIP
MTAC membership is a benefit of membership in AAUM without additional payment of dues. The classes of AAUM membership are:
• Regular members who consist of all those who have been regularly enrolled in a degree granting program at the University of Michigan for one semester or more and have paid current annual or life dues to AAUM.
• Associate members who consist of all persons, excluding those qualified as regular members, who have shown an active or vital interest in the University of Michigan and the AAUM and who have paid current annual or life dues to AAUM.
Article Four – AMENDMENT OF ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION
A majority vote by the Board is required to amend the Articles of Association.
Michigan Triangle Alumni Club
Drafted 11 April 2009
Section One – OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
The MTAC shall be governed by a Board of Officers and Directors (hereinafter the “Board”) who are elected by the general membership at the June Annual Meeting.
Officers and Directors are expected to be current dues paying members of the Alumni Association of the University of Michigan.
Section Two – ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
New Officers and Directors shall be nominated by the Nominating Committee no more than eight weeks prior to the June Annual Meeting and presented to the Board for approval by a majority vote of the Board members present at the board meeting that proceeds the annual meeting. The nominations shall be affirmed by a majority vote of the general members at the June Annual Meeting.
The members of the Board shall be drawn from the membership of the MTAC, who are members of the AAUM. The Board shall consist of the following:
• Five officer positions: President, Programming Chair, Marketing/Communications Chair, Secretary and Treasurer whose general responsibilities are listed in Addendum A.
• Six Directors whose general responsibilities are listed in Addendum B.
Section Three – TERMS OF OFFICE FOR OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
MTAC Officers are elected for a one year term and may be re-elected for two additional terms for a total of three consecutive years of service in a single office.
MTAC Directors are elected for a two year term and may be re-elected for two additional terms for a total of six consecutive years of service on the Board.
No Board member, including both Officers and Directors, may serve for longer than a maximum of six years on the Board.
If an Officer or Director should resign before his or her term ends or be unable to complete his or her term of office, the President, with concurrence of a majority of the Board, may replace that Officer or Director for the remainder of the un-expired term until the next election, at which time a replacement will be selected by utilizing the nomination and selection process outlined above.
If the President resigns before the end of his or her term, the Board will elect a replacement from within the Board for the remainder of the un-expired term until the next election, at which time a replacement will be selected by utilizing the nomination and selection process outlined above.
Section Four – QUORUM AND VOTING
A quorum for the Board shall consist of a minimum of 50% of Board members with at least 50% of Officer(s) in attendance. Action by the Board must be by a majority of the quorum.
Section Five – COMMITTEES
MTAC has two standing committees: The Programming Committee and the Marketing/Communications Committee. General responsibilities for these committees are listed in the accompanying addendum.
Section Six – MEETINGS
The Annual Meeting of the Board shall be held at specified date, time, and location in June each year as the Board or President may designate with proper notice being sent to all members. Any member in good standing may attend. Such notice shall accompany the notice of the election of Officers and Directors.
There shall be at least five other meetings of the Board each year. Additional meetings of the Board may be called when deemed necessary by the President or any three members of the Board. Notice of such meeting may be provided by e-mail, or with mailed notice, provided such notice is given at least seven days prior to said meeting.
Section Seven – RULES OF ORDER
Roberts Rules of Order, or any other set of Rules of Order duly adopted by a majority of the Board, shall govern parliamentary procedure in the MTAC meetings.
Section Eight – BYLAWS
The Bylaws shall be adopted for the governance of the MTAC by a majority of the Board. A majority vote by the Board is required to amend the Bylaws.
Drafted 11 April 2009
OFFICER AND DIRECTOR POSITIONS
The responsibilities of the MTAC officers shall include but not be limited to the following:
• Set overall strategy for the MTAC
• Lead efforts to revise Articles of Association, By-Laws, and Addendums as needed
The President’s responsibilities include:
• Supervising and coordinating MTAC activities
• Calling and presiding over regular and special meetings of the Board
• Ensuring the holding of the Annual Meeting as called for by club’s bylaws
• Ensuring the completion of the MTAC Annual Report for the AAUM
• Serving, if interested, as a member of any standing or ad hoc committee, with the right to vote
• Appointing, with a majority vote of the Board, standing or ad hoc committees for the MTAC and their respective chairpersons
• Serving as principal liaison with the University, the Alumni Association and other organizations
The Programming Chair’s responsibilities include:
• Coordinating the efforts of the Programming Committee including approving all MTAC events
• Ensuring the annual Programming calendar offers events that meet established AAUM guidelines including but not limited to sports events, family events, cultural events, networking events, community service events, and young alumni events.
• Developing procedures and processes for the Programming Committee to use to ensure best practice planning guides are established and followed
• Presiding over the MTAC meetings in the absence of the President
• Assuming the duties of the President on an interim basis if the President is unable to complete his/her term
The Marketing/Communications Chair’s responsibilities include:
• Coordinating efforts of the Marketing/Communications Committee
• Ensuring timeliness of updates to website, submission of content for regional e-True Blue, and broadcast of messages on listserv
• Creating schedules/processes/procedures for efficient and systemic communication to MTAC membership
• Ensuring MTAC uses all the communication resources provided by the AAUM
The Secretary’s responsibilities include:
• Taking and distributing meeting minutes at Board and special meetings
• Maintaining a permanent record of all MTAC proceedings
• Tallying votes from the Board and general membership
• Maintaining and circulating the current Articles of Association, Bylaws and Addendums of the MTAC
• Taking attendance at MTAC Board meetings
• Giving notice of the MTAC Board meetings
• Ensuring that the term limits described in the MTAC bylaws are adhered to by the Officers and Directors of the Board
The Treasurer’s responsibilities include:
• Receiving all funds paid to the MTAC
• Disbursing money on properly authorized orders/invoices
• Maintaining the permanent record of all financial matters
• Preparing a Treasurer’s Report on the status of the operating and scholarship funds for all meetings of the Board, including the Annual Meeting
• Preparing a final report for the prior fiscal year and submitting such report to the Board
• Transferring funds to the Office of Financial Aid of the University of Michigan
• Transferring financial records to the incoming treasurer no later than the first Board Meeting after the annual meeting
• Advising/approving event-based budgets and related record keeping
Directors’ responsibilities include:
• Serving as liaisons among the MTAC leadership, the membership, and the community at large
• Representing the diverse interests of the general membership
• Assisting the Officers in the administration of the MTAC and in volunteer identification and recruitment
• Attending Board meetings on a regular basis
• Attending club events on a regular basis
• Contributing to the work of at least one standing committee
Marketing and Communications Committee
Members of this committee include the MAC Database Administrator, Website Administrator, and Contributing Editor. The responsibilities of the Marketing and Communications Committee include coordinating the communication and marketing strategies for the MTAC and assisting other committees with creation and execution of flyers, postcards, and other mailers.
Website Administrator responsibilities include:
• Managing and updating the content of the website as requested by the Board and the Contributing Editor
Contributing Editor responsibilities include:
• Writing text for the MTAC website, listserv messages and Regional e-TrueBlue
• Submitting MTAC monthly submissions to Regional e-TrueBlue
• Submitting information for the AAUM website event calendar
• Writing text for and coordinating supplemental and other AAUM sponsored paper mailings
Michigan Alumni Connections (MAC) Database Administrator responsibilities include:
• Updating alumni information for the MTAC on a regular basis
• Running queries to download alumni information
• Updating and maintaining the club’s listserv
The responsibilities of the Programming Committee include:
• Planning, arranging and coordinating events for the MTAC
• Establishing financial and operational objectives for MTAC events
• Determining subcommittees and electing subcommittee chairs that best fulfill the annual programming goals of the MTAC
• Ensuring that the Communications Committee is informed of all events with sufficient time to make sure members are notified of events and encouraged to attend
• Insuring that at least one representative on the Programming committee attends events that are planned by the committee
• Insuring that AAUM membership materials and volunteer sign-up sheets are available at MTAC events