We need your talents to keep the club active in a diverse group of activities.
If you are interesting in helping out, even if it’s only one hour a month, please contact any Board member or email: [email protected].
U-M Club of Silicon Valley Club Officer, Director & Committee Position Descriptions
Officer & Director Positions
Officers and Directors are expected to be current dues-paying members of the Alumni Association of the University of Michigan.
Executive Committee / Officers
The Executive Committee is comprised of all officers of the U-M Alumni Club of Silicon Valley (UMACSV). The responsibilities of this Committee shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Set overall strategy for the UMACSV
- Lead efforts to revise Articles of Association and By-Laws as needed.
The President’s responsibilities include:
- Supervising and coordinating UMACSV activities
- Calling and presiding over regular and special meetings of the Board and the Executive Committee
- Ensuring the holding of the Annual Meeting as called for by the club’s Articles of Association
- Serving, if interested, as a member of any standing or ad hoc committee, with the right to vote
- Appointing, with a majority vote of the Board, standing or ad hoc committees for the UMACSV and their respective chairpersons
- Serving as principal liaison with the University, the Alumni Association and other organizations.
The Vice President’s responsibilities include:
- Presiding over the UMACSV meetings in the absence of the President
- Chairing the Nominating Committee
- Ensuring that the term limits described in the UMACSV Bylaws are adhered to by the Officers and Directors of the Board
- Serving as a resource for the Chairs of all committees and participating in associated activities as needed
- Assuming the duties of the President on an interim basis if the President is unable to complete his/her term
- Ensuring the completion of the UMACSV Annual Report for the Alumni Association of the U-M (AAUM).
The Secretary’s responsibilities include:
- Giving notice of the UMACSV Board meetings
- Taking and distributing meeting minutes at Board and special meetings
- Maintaining a permanent record of all UMACSV proceedings
- Tallying votes from the Board and general membership
- Maintaining and circulating the current Articles of Association and Bylaws of the UMACSV
- Taking attendance at UMACSV Board meetings.
The Treasurer’s responsibilities include:
- Receiving all funds paid to the UMACSV
- Disbursing money on properly authorized orders/invoices
- Maintaining the permanent record of all financial matters
- Preparing a Treasurer’s Report on the status of the operating and scholarship funds for all meetings of the Board, including the Annual Meeting
- Preparing a final report for the prior fiscal year and submitting such report to the Board
- Transferring funds to the Office of Financial Aid of the University of Michigan
- Transferring financial records to the current treasurer no later than the second Board Meeting of the year
- Assisting in preparation of event-based budgets and related record keeping
- Serving as a resource for the Director(s) of (1) Scholarship Awards & Student Relations and (2) Fundraising, participating in associated activities as needed.
Immediate Past President
Serves in an advisory capacity to the club and participating with the Board as needed.
Directors (a.k.a. Governors)
Director’s responsibilities include:
- Serving as liaisons among the UMACSV leadership, the membership, and the community at large
- Representing the diverse interests of the general membership
- Assisting the Officers in the administration of the UMACSV and in volunteer identification and recruitment
- Attending Board members on a regular basis
- Attending club events on a regular basis
- Contributing to the work of at least one standing or ad hoc committee.
Marketing & Communications Committee
Members of this committee include the MAC Database Administrator, Website Administrator, and Contributing Editor. The responsibilities of the Marketing and Communications Committee include coordinating the communication and marketing strategies for the UMACSV and assisting other committees with creation and execution of flyers, postcards, and other mailers.
Managing and updating the content of the website as requested by the Board and the Contributing Editor
- Writing text for the UMACSV website, listserv messages and Regional e-TrueBlue
- Submitting UMACSV monthly submissions to Regional e-TrueBlue
- Submitting information for the AAUM website event calendar
- Writing text for and coordinating supplemental and other AAUM sponsored paper mailings
Michigan Alumni Connections (MAC) Database Administrator
- Updating alumni information for the UMACSV on a regular basis
- Running queries to download alumni information
- Updating and maintaining the club’s listserv
The responsibilities of the Programming Committee include:
- Creating and executing strategies to welcome new graduates moving to the UMACSV area
- Planning, with the Programming Committee, an annual welcoming event each August or September for new alumni
- Creating and executing strategies to welcome relocating alumni to UMACSV area
- Creating strategies, with the Alumni Association, to market the value proposition of membership to current members
- Leading Board recruitment efforts to identify volunteers to serve on committees and to join the Board
- Insuring that at least one representative on the committee attends events that are planned by the committee. Insuring that AAUM membership materials and volunteer sign-up sheets are available at UMACSV events
The responsibilities of the Nominating Committee include:
- Soliciting nominees for Officer and Director positions by canvassing current board members and collaborating with the Marketing and Communications Committee to develop a strategy to make opportunities for leadership known to the general membership
- Presenting a slate of nominees for Officer and Director positions to the Board of Directors
The responsibilities of the Programming Committee include:
- Leading the UMACSV Programs Planning meeting, scheduled annually in (insert month), where a diverse calendar of events for the fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) are identified
- Presenting the proposed calendar of events to the Board for approval at each Board meeting
- Planning, arranging and coordinating events for the UMACSV
- Establishing financial and operational objectives for UMACSV events
- Determining subcommittees and elect subcommittee chairs that best fulfill the annual programming goals of the UMACSV
- Ensuring that the Communications Committee is informed of all events with sufficient time to make sure members are notified of events and encouraged to attend
- Collecting informal feedback from event attendees and informing the Board of “lessons learned” from each event
- Insuring that at least one representative on the committee attends events that are planned by the committee
Scholarship & Student Relations Committee
The responsibilities of the Scholarship and Student Relations Committee include:
- Assisting in the recruiting of students for the University of Michigan
- Attending college nights at local high schools
- Recruiting volunteers for the Alumni Association’s adopt-a-school program
- Contacting high school guidance counselors within the UMACSV area
- Developing and coordinating a student send-off reception for newly admitted students, information sessions, and a “conversion” party for accepted students
- Disseminating scholarship information and materials to UM students in the UMACSV
- Awarding scholarships to students from the UMACSV area
- Serving as liaison to the UM Office of Financial Aid
Young Alumni Committee
The responsibilities of the Young Alumni Committee include:
- Advising the Board when necessary to amend the definition of “young alumni”, which is currently defined by year of graduation
- Serving as the single point of contact for initiating and responding to young alumni communications
- Assisting the Programming Committee in developing programs and events focused on engaging young alumni in UMACSV, including identifying young alumni to serve as volunteers for young alumni events and events involving local high school student
A designation voted on by the majority of the Board of Directors to recognize individuals who have served the club and earned lifetime status. Honorary Directors are not considered to be voting members of the Board of Directors.
A club member who takes photographs at club related events, maintains a photo album for the club, and maintains the club’s history.