Virtual Summer Camp
We are excited for another amazing, though slightly different, summer of U-M alumni family camping on the virtual shore of Walloon Lake.
Summer Program Updates
Check your email in the days leading up to your week to see a schedule of activities. If you’re ready to start planning your week, here is a draft of the activities ahead.
Supplies and Sustainability
We’ve created programming that requires very little “specific” equipment or materials. We hope you take this fun (and sustainable!) adventure and make the most of it.
- Some programs have suggested useful supplies or resources for recreating the camp experience. We encourage up-cycling materials you have at home like boxes, containers, and old craft supples, whenever possible. Get creative!
- This Virtual Camp Supplies List will be kept up all summer long and we’ll continue to add to it.
Michigania Communities – Camper Community and Online Conversation
Engage with your fellow campers: Soon you’ll be added to your week’s Virtual Camp Community & the Michigania community if you aren’t already a member.
This will enable you to receive daily digest emails of announcements and conversation threads with your fellow campers. Engage via these emails or log in to explore the Michigania and new virtual camp Communities created just for you.
- Don’t wait to start connecting with fellow campers — see all of the virtual camp communities.
- If an adult in your family isn’t automatically invited or if you’d like to participate during a different week this summer, request access here.
- If you would like to opt-out and not receive a digest email from your week’s Virtual Camp Community, click here to unsubscribe.
Why Use Communities?
- Connect to would-be-2020-staff and fellow campers.
- Use the private section for your week’s activities, like hosting for a virtual porch party.
What happened to Slack? Although Slack was previously announced as our communication platform, we’ve learned it was not built for a summer camp experience, so we’re shifting to a platform equipped to personalize your experience.
Haven’t used Alumni Online Communities before? Having trouble logging in? Learn more and connect here if you need assistance.
Readers & Best Book Club
Camp’s Council developed a comprehensive list and selected “The Water Dancer” by Ta-Nehisi Coates. Our camp staff will arrange a Zoom video conference for each week’s book club discussion. The book can be purchased online from Amazon and Barnes and Noble and should be available at most brick-and-mortar stores — bonus if you can support local bookstores offering online orders or pick-up.
Be a Mentor
Let us know if you are interested in being a mentor for one of the Michigania staff members this summer.
Keg & Koke
Adults only! The Keg n’ Koke talent show will take place weekly in a LIVE Zoom call. Start now to prepare your entry (videos of less than 5 minutes) and submit it by Thursday of your camp week! A link to upload your file will be provided in your Bluebook —BYOBeverage & popcorn!
Your Raffle Dollars at Work
Your support throughout the summer at the end-of-the-week raffle allows us to enhance our programs and facility, keeping Camp Michigania beautiful for generations to come. This summer, we’ve purchased new furniture for the Education Center, a wonderful upgrade we’ll get to enjoy next summer in 2021!
Exciting Michigania Magic in the Works
None of these are definitive now, but here’s what we are working on:
- A virtual camp store to sell current inventory.
- A “Camp-in-a-Box” kit to bring part of camp into your home! The kit would include a 2020 camp shirt to commemorate our virtual summer “together.”