I hosted a trip to Alaska in August with Michigan alumni — my second trip to this great state — and I spent a lot of time thinking about what to pack. Considering all the travel I’ve done, you would think that I would be an expert packer. I’m not. I overpack for every trip. What can I say? I just want my stuff and don’t want to take the chance of being without something.
This time around I decided to get some expert help. I reached out to our Go Blue Rewards partner Moosejaw for some advice. The following is their Top 10 list of things to pack for an Alaskan adventure:
1. Fleece: You can never have too many of these in your closet. (Men | Women)
2. Waterproof jacket: A must when traveling to Alaska, as it does rain — a lot! (Men | Women)
3. Hiking boots: Another great suggestion. They are not easy to pack but well worth the trouble. (Men | Women)
4. Daypack: While I didn’t plan to hike extensively on this trip, I still brought a backpack. (Black Diamond Nitro 22 Pack)
5. Beanie & Sunhat: Definitely bring a hat. On my last trek, I wore one nearly every day. (Coal Frena Solid Beanie | Outdoor Research Retro Seattle Sombrero)
6. Rain pants: Don’t leave home without these. Enough said. (Men | Women)
7. Rain boots: Don’t leave home without these, either. (Men | Women)
8. Gloves: I prefer mittens but wore gloves nearly every day on my last trip. (Men | Women)
9. Bathing suit: I can’t say I planned on bringing a bathing suit, but hey — anyone interested in a polar plunge? (Men | Women)
10. Wool socks: This is one item I learned to love on my last Alaskan adventure. Trust me: Your feet will thank you. (Smartwool Striped Hike Light Crew Sock)
In addition, Moosejaw is offering all alumni 10% off full-price items with the code UM10 until Sept. 20 (some exclusions may apply). They have lots of great things on sale, too, and Alumni Association members also receive 5% off clearance items through Go Blue Rewards. Just log in as a member to access the promo code for 5% off. After Sept. 20, Alumni Association members can continue to access the discount codes on Go Blue Rewards.
As for me, I’m heading down to the Moosejaw store on Main Street at lunchtime.
Do you have any suggestions? Let us know what you would pack.