University of Michigan Club of Westchester By Laws
Adopted November, 2005
Revised May 2007
Revised June 2008
Revised June 2009
Article One – NAME
The name of this organization is the University of Michigan Club of Westchester (including Rockland, Putnam and Dutchess Counties), NY
Article Two – PURPOSE
The University of Michigan Club of Westchester is an affiliate of, and chartered by, the Alumni Association of the University of Michigan (AAUM), an educational, non-profit membership organization of graduates and friends of the University of Michigan. The club and AAUM bring alumni together in support of each other and to promote the objectives of the University of Michigan through the establishment and maintenance of contact between the University, its graduates, present, former and prospective students.
Article Three – MEMBERSHIP
The University of Michigan Club of Westchester membership is a benefit of membership in AAUM without additional payment of dues. The classes of AAUM membership are:
- Regular members who consist of all those who have been regularly enrolled in a degree granting program at the University of Michigan for one semester or more and have paid current annual or life dues to AAUM.
- Associate members who consist of all persons, excluding those qualified as regular members, who have shown an active or vital interest in the University of Michigan and the AAUM and who have paid current annual or life dues to AAUM.
Article Four – OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
The University of Michigan Club of Westchester shall be governed by a President and Board of Officers and Directors (hereinafter the “Board”) who selected by the Board, based on service to the Club.
Officers and Directors are expected to be current dues paying members of the Alumni Association of the University of Michigan. There shall always be a minimum of three sitting Officers, but there is no limit to the number of Board members or committee volunteers.
Article Five – ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
The members of the Board shall be drawn from the membership of The University of Michigan Club of Westchester, who are members of the AAUM. The Board shall consist of the following:
- At a minimum, two, preferably three officers: President, Treasurer and if possible Vice President, who will head individual committees, as defined by the President.
- In the event of an evenly split vote, any available President Emeritus will cast the deciding vote.
Article Six – BYLAWS
The Bylaws have been adopted for the governance of The University of Michigan Club of Westchester by a majority of the Board, and are discussed at the annual meeting.
Article Seven – AMENDMENT OF ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION
A majority vote by Board members is required to amend the Articles of Association.
Section One – TERMS OF OFFICE FOR OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
The University of Michigan Club of Westchester Officers are elected for open-ended terms. Continued terms are based on continuous contribution. An officer must step down if the remaining Board members are in agreement that the officer is no longer performing effectively.
Section Two – QUORUM AND VOTING
A quorum for the Board shall consist of a minimum of 3 Board members, or at least 2 Board members with at least 2 Committee members in attendance. Board members may agree to allow Action by the Board must be by a majority of the quorum.
Section Three – COMMITTEES
The University of Michigan Club of Westchester has standing committees headed by officers. These committees are subject to change.
Section Four – MEETINGS
There shall be at least 1 meeting of the Board each year. Additional meetings of the Board may be called when deemed necessary by the President or any 2 members of the Board. Notice of such meeting may be provided by e-mail, or with mailed notice, provided such notice is given at least seven days prior to said meeting.
Section Five – RULES OF ORDER
Roberts Rules of Order, or any other set of Rules of Order duly adopted by a majority of the Board, shall govern parliamentary procedure in The University of Michigan Club of Westchester meetings.
Section Six – AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS
A majority vote by the Board is required to amend the Bylaws.
The University of Michigan Club of Westchester
Adopted November, 2005
OFFICER AND DIRECTOR POSITIONS
The responsibilities of The University of Michigan Club of Westchester officers shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Set overall strategy for The University of Michigan Club of Westchester
- Manage the schedule of the Club within the budget available.
- Lead efforts to revise Articles of Association, By-Laws, and Addendums as needed
The President’s responsibilities include:
- Supervising and coordinating The University of Michigan Club of Westchester activities
- Calling and presiding over regular and special meetings of the Board
- Ensuring the holding of the Annual Meeting as called for by club’s bylaws
- Ensuring the completion of the The University of Michigan Club of Westchester Annual Report for the AAUM
- Serving, if interested, as a member of any standing or ad hoc committee, with the right to vote
- Appointing, with a majority vote of the Board, standing or ad hoc committees for The University of Michigan Club of Westchester and their respective chairpersons
- Serving as principal liaison with the University, the Alumni Association and other organizations
The Vice President’s responsibilities include:
- Presiding over the The University of Michigan Club of Westchester meetings in the absence of the President
- Assuming the duties of the President on an interim basis if the President is unable to complete his/her term
The Treasurer’s responsibilities include:
- Receiving all funds paid to The University of Michigan Club of Westchester
- Disbursing money on properly authorized orders/invoices
- Maintaining the permanent record of all financial matters
- Preparing a final report for the prior fiscal year and submitting such report to the Board
- Transferring funds to the Office of Financial Aid of the University of Michigan
- Transferring financial records to the current treasurer no later than the (insert date) Board Meeting
Assisting in preparation of event-based budgets and related record keeping