ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION
The University of Michigan Club of Greater Manistee-Ludington
Revised and Approved
Article One – NAME
The name of this organization is the The University of Michigan Club of Greater Manistee-Ludington serving the counties of Lake, Manistee, Mason, Wexford and parts of Benzie and Oceana, hereinafter referred to as CoML (Club of Manistee Ludington)
Article Two – PURPOSE
The CoML is an affiliate of, and chartered by, the Alumni Association of the University of Michigan (AAUM), an educational, non-profit membership organization of graduates and friends of the University of Michigan. The club and AAUM bring alumni together in support of each other and to promote the objectives of the University of Michigan through the establishment and maintenance of contact among the University, its graduates, and present and prospective students.
Article Three – MEMBERSHIP
CoML membership is a benefit of membership in AAUM without additional payment of dues. The classes of AAUM membership are:
- Regular members who consist of all those who have been regularly enrolled in a degree granting program at the University of Michigan for one semester or more and have paid current annual or life dues to AAUM.
- Associate members who consist of all persons, excluding those qualified as regular members, who have shown an active or vital interest in the University of Michigan and the AAUM and who have paid current annual or life dues to AAUM.
Article Four – AMENDMENT OF ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION
A majority vote by the Board is required to amend the Articles of Association.
The University of Michigan Club of Greater Manistee-Ludington
Adopted March 2015
Section One – OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
The University of Michigan Club of Greater Manistee-Ludington shall be governed by a Board of Officers and Directors (hereinafter the “Board”) who are elected by the general membership at the June Annual Meeting.
Officers and Directors are expected to be current dues paying members of the Alumni Association of the University of Michigan.
Section Two – ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
New Officers and Directors shall be nominated by the Nominating Committee prior to the June Annual Meeting and presented to the Board for approval by a majority vote of the Board members present at the May Board meeting. The nominations shall be affirmed by a majority vote of the general members at the June Annual Meeting.
The members of the Board shall be drawn from the membership of the CoML, who are members of the AAUM. The Board shall consist of the following:
- Four officers: President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer whose general responsibilities are listed in Addendum A.
- Seven directors: general responsibilities are listed in Addendum B. One of the seven will be the immediate past president.
Section Three – TERMS OF OFFICE FOR OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
CoML Officers are elected for a 2 year term and may be re-elected for additional terms of service in a single office.
CoML Directors are elected for a 2 year term and may be re-elected for additional terms of service on the Board.
If an Officer or Director should resign before his or her term ends or be unable to complete his or her term of office, the President, with concurrence of a majority of the Board, may replace that Officer or Director for the remainder of the un-expired term until the next election, at which time a replacement will be selected by utilizing the nomination and selection process outlined above.
If the President resigns before the end of his or her term, the Vice President shall assume the role of President, and with concurrence of a majority of the Board, may replace the Vice President for the remainder of the un-expired term until the next election, at which time a replacement will be selected by utilizing the nomination and selection process outlined above.
Section Four – QUORUM AND VOTING
A quorum for the Board shall consist of a minimum of 5 Board members with at least 1 Officer(s) in attendance. Action by the Board must be by a majority of the quorum.
Section Five – COMMITTEES
CoML has 5 Standing Committees and 1 Ad Hoc Committee: Communications, Membership, Events, Scholarship and Student Relations, and Fund Raising. A Nominating Committee will serve as an Ad Hoc committee. General responsibilities for these committees are listed in the accompanying Addendum C.
Section Six – MEETINGS
The Annual Meeting of the Board shall be held at specified date, time, and location in June each year as the Board or President may designate with proper notice being sent to all members. Any member in good standing may attend. Such notice shall accompany the notice of the election of Officers and Directors.
There shall be at least 6 other meetings of the Board each year-September, November, January, March, May, and July. Additional meetings of the Board may be called when deemed necessary by the President. Notice of such meeting may be provided by e-mail, or with mailed notice, provided such notice is given at least seven days prior to said meeting.
In the event that a decision is needed when a meeting is not possible, the Board will be notified via email or phone for individual polling. Action by the Board must be a majority of the quorum.
Section Seven – RULES OF ORDER
Roberts Rules of Order, or any other set of Rules of Order duly adopted by a majority of the Board, shall govern parliamentary procedure in the CoML meetings.
Section Eight – BYLAWS
The Bylaws shall be adopted for the governance of the CoML by a majority of the Board. A majority vote by the Board is required to amend the Bylaws.
The University of Michigan Club of Greater Manistee-Ludington
OFFICER AND DIRECTOR POSITIONS
The responsibilities of the CoML officers shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Set overall strategy for the CoML
- Lead efforts to revise Articles of Association, By-Laws, and Addendums as needed
The President’s responsibilities include:
- Supervising and coordinating CoML activities
- Calling and presiding over regular and special meetings of the Board
- Ensuring the holding of the Annual Meeting as called for by club’s bylaws
- Ensuring the completion of the CoML Annual Report for the AAUM
- Serving, if interested, as a member of any standing or ad hoc committee, with the right to vote
- Appointing, with a majority vote of the Board, standing or ad hoc committees for the CoML and their respective chairpersons
- Serving as principal liaison with the University, the Alumni Association and other organizations
The Vice President’s responsibilities include:
- Presiding over the CoML meetings in the absence of the President
- Appointing and Chairing the Ad Hoc Nominating Committee
- Ensuring that the term limits described in the CoML bylaws are adhered to by the Officers and Directors of the Board
- Serving as a resource for the Chairs of the following committees: Communications, Membership, Events, Scholarship and Student Relations and, participating in associated activities as needed
- Assuming the duties of the President on an interim basis if the President is unable to complete his/her term
The Secretary’s responsibilities include:
- Giving notice of the CoML Board meetings
- Taking and distributing meeting minutes at Board and special meetings
- Maintaining a permanent record of all CoML proceedings
- Tallying votes from the Board and general membership
- Maintaining and circulating the current Articles of Association, Bylaws and Addendums of the CoML
- Taking attendance at CoML Board meetings
The Treasurer’s responsibilities include:
- Receiving all funds paid to the CoML
- Disbursing money on properly authorized orders/invoices
- Maintaining the permanent record of all financial matters
- Preparing a Treasurer’s Report on the status of the operating and scholarship funds for all meetings of the Board, including the Annual Meeting
- Preparing a final report for the prior fiscal year and submitting such report to the Board
- Preparing and completing the annual report for AAUM
- Transferring funds to the Office of Financial Aid of the University of Michigan
- Transferring financial records to the incoming treasurer no later than the July Board Meeting
- Prepare an annual budget
- Assisting in preparation of event-based budgets and related record keeping
- Serving as a resource for the Director(s) of (1) Scholarship Awards & Student Relations and (2) Fundraising, participating in associated activities as needed
- Oversee risk management and insurance
Directors’ responsibilities include:
- Attending Board meetings on a regular basis
- Attending club events on a regular basis
- Serving on at least one standing or ad hoc committee.
- Serving as liaisons among the CoML leadership, the membership, and the community at large
- Representing the diverse interests of the general membership
- Assisting the Officers in the administration of the CoML and in volunteer identification and recruitment
A Committee will consist of a minimum of 1 member from the Board of Directors and may involve other individuals as necessary.
The Chair(s) for each committee shall be responsible for submitting financial goals, including budgets, in writing to the Treasurer throughout each fiscal year. The financial goals are to be reviewed and rejected, accepted, or accepted with modifications by the Board.
Members of this committee include the Website Administrator and Contributing Editor. The responsibilities of the Communications Committee include coordinating the communication and marketing strategies for the CoML and assisting other committees with creation and execution of flyers, postcards, and other mailers.
Website Administrator responsibilities include:
- Managing and updating the content of the website and other social media sites as requested by the Board and the Contributing Editor
Contributing Editor responsibilities include:
- Writing text for the CoML website, listserv messages and e-TrueBlue
- Submitting CoML monthly submissions to e-TrueBlue
- Submitting information for the AAUM website event calendar
- Writing text for and coordinating supplemental and other AAUM sponsored paper mailings
The responsibilities of the Membership Committee include:
- Insuring that AAUM membership materials and volunteer sign-up sheets are available at CoML events
- Creating and executing strategies to welcome alumni moving to the CoML area
- Creating strategies, with the Alumni Association, to market the value proposition of membership to members
- Leading Board recruitment efforts to identify volunteers to serve on committees and to join the Board
- Insuring that at least one representative on the committee attends events that are planned by the committee
The responsibilities of the Events Committee include:
- Leading the CoML events planning meeting, scheduled annually in August where a diverse calendar of events for the fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) are identified
- Presenting the proposed calendar of events to the Board for approval at the September Board meeting
- Planning, arranging and coordinating events for the CoML
- Establishing financial and operational objectives for CoML events
- Determining subcommittees and electing subcommittee chairs that best fulfill the annual programming goals of the CoML
- Ensuring that the Communications Committee is informed of all events with sufficient time to make sure members are notified of events and encouraged to attend
- Collecting informal feedback from event attendees and informing the Board of “lessons learned” from each event
- Insuring that at least one representative on the Events Committee attends events that are planned by the committee
Scholarship & Student Relations Committee
The responsibilities of the Scholarship and Student Relations Committee include:
- Assisting in the recruiting of students for the University of Michigan
- Attending college nights at local high schools
- Recruiting volunteers for the Alumni Association’s adopt-a-school program
- Contacting high school guidance counselors within the CoML area
- Developing information sessions and coordinating a student send-off reception for newly admitted students.
- Developing and disseminating scholarship information and materials to UM students in the CoML area
- Recommending annual scholarships awards, from the CoML area, to the Board
- Serving as liaison to the UM Office of Financial Aid
Fund Raising Committee
The responsibilities of the Fund Raising Committee include:
- Ensuring adequate financing to carry out the club activities
- Working with the Treasurer to develop a CoML budget
- Working with all Standing Committees to assure that projects are funded and within budget
- Assist in developing Fund Raising Activities.
Ad Hoc Nominating Committee
The responsibilities of the Nominating Committee include:
- Soliciting nominees for Officer and Director positions by canvassing current board members and collaborating with the Marketing and Communications Committee to develop a strategy to make opportunities for leadership known to the general membership
- Developing an application process and time table for nominations
- Presenting a slate of nominees, through the Vice President who serves as chair of the Nominating Committee, to the Board of Directors for Officer and Director positions.