University of Michigan Alumni Association

The M Den: You Bowl Tour Headquarters.

Diplomas, Transcripts and Reference Letters

Potential employers may ask you for official documentation of your U-M degree and other accomplishments. The Alumni Association provides students and alumni with all the information they need to easily secure these materials from the University.


You may order a replacement diploma from the University of Michigan Office of the Registrar's Diploma Department. Different fees apply depending on your diploma's size and type. Order a duplicate diploma from the Ann Arbor, Dearborn and Flint campuses.

Official Academic Transcripts

University of Michigan – Ann Arbor Campus: Students and alumni of the Ann Arbor campus can order transcripts in three ways from the Office of the Registrar's Transcript and Certification Department.

  1. Current and former students with a uniqname and password may order transcripts online through Wolverine Access. From the Student Business page, choose Order Transcript. This option is not available to those students who need rush service, have attachments which must accompany the transcript, or who last attended prior to Fall 1993.
  2. Fax or mail a request to the Office of the Registrar using the official order form.

    Transcript and Certification Department
    Office of the Registrar
    University of Michigan
    1210 LSA Building
    500 S. State St.
    Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1382
    Phone: 734.763.9066
    Fax: 734.764.5556

  3. For students and alumni who cannot use Wolverine Access and need a transcript quickly, or have transcript attachments, an order may be placed in person at one of the Student Services locations – please be sure to bring photo identification.

Please Note: Transcript orders are not accepted via e-mail. Transcript processing ordinarily takes two business days and is free of charge.

University of Michigan-Dearborn Campus: U-M Dearborn graduates should request transcripts directly from the Dearborn Campus Transcript Office.

University of Michigan-Flint Campus: U-M Flint graduates should request transcripts from the Office of the Registrar on the Flint Campus.

The U-M Career Center's Reference Letter Service

The U-M Career Center's Reference Letter Service (RLS) offers University of Michigan degree-seeking students and alumni the opportunity to have letters of reference on file to use in support of their application to graduate/professional school or employment.

  • A file of original reference letters is maintained for five years from the day the file was established.
  • There is a $25 fee to open and maintain a reference letter file with the RLS for five years.
  • File longevity may be extended beyond the initial five years for a $25 renewal fee. In addition, there is a nominal charge to process requests to have letters sent to prospective employers or graduate/professional schools.